Friday, October 17, 2014

Suminagashi




I have recently signed up to Creative Bug on line craft workshops really just because I wanted to  follow a line drawing class and found that I had to take out a monthly subscription to join it. Fortunately or unfortunately I tend to want to have a go at numerous new techniques when I see them in action, so this has been a big distraction. More of the line drawing later but this week I found Suminagashi very clearly demonstrated and decided I just had to have a go at it.




I am lucky to have found a Japanese Calligraphy set in a charity shop not so long ago, and in it is a bottle of Sumi Ink and two brushes. Plenty of paper is needed, I have some offcuts of printing paper, and various types of handmade paper which work well. I found the nicest marks were actually on my own handmade paper.




The darker shapes are where I used two kebabs skewers rather than brushes.


The background marks on this one were made with Indian Ink, which seemed to give lighter marks; I like the Sumi Ink used on top of it.
Using my own handmade paper, which is fragile when wet but takes up the ink well and gives such nice marks.


I don’t feel that I will stay a member of Creative Bug for long, although I may dip in and out. I would say that the workshops are extremely well produced and professional. They do tend to focus on dress making and knitting, so the ones I have watched have been limited, which is just as well as it could get terribly expensive in buying new materials. There were some problems using the app on my ipad but more content seems to be available, i.e. live chat sessions when I use my PC.

4 comments:

  1. These are such lovely marks! I had to look Suminagashi up... I have had a go at marbling in the past but in a much more haphazard way. Something to revisit perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Jackie, if these last three were on fabric, you could start stitching right away !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen and Els, I would definitely recommend having a go at this, it is very calming.

      Delete
  3. Like mountain context. Very magic!

    artisoo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...