Monday, June 25, 2018

Reuse,recycle.





Well, I never realised that pegboard had become so trendy. There are numerous YouTube videos of how people make and use their pegboard from craft rooms to garages. I remember talking my father into having some in my bedroom as a teenager; he even made the hooks for me. We were about to dispose of two bunk beds when I noticed that the plywood bases would be ideal as pegboard; they were already drilled, I would not have had the patience to do that, though some people do. I notice it is usually the boyfriend who does the drilling.


It took a while to get one piece painted and fixed to the wall. The mixed pack of hooks was really inexpensive. I cut some dowel and glued buttons to the ends, but he who knows better said they would not be strong enough, so we also got metal hooks.
It is proving to be very useful and I keep admiring it and looking for new items to add. The plastic boxes for soap powder tabs make good storage boxes, and I will be trying out decorated cans when I have some.




My printing has had mixed results, probably because I have been rushing. I am doing a fun introductory course on printing at the local collage. The colourful image on the header, is made from experiments with the heat press.

 I also keep up with Skill Share courses, and recently did one called ‘Collage and Go’. I put one of the results on Red Bubble. It is fun to see work printed on items, even with no expectation to sell them.




I hope you are enjoying the summer. We have a mini heatwave in the UK, bit too hot for me.


Thursday, April 26, 2018

Oranges and Black Birds




I took an image from the front of a sketchbook into Photoshop and then printed it out in black and white onto TAP. Fortunately I have some Artists' Transfer Paper put aside, as I understand that it is now out of production. What a shame that is, if anyone knows of a good replacement I would be pleased to know about it.
I patched and pieced a background and then transferred the images. Silly me as I have just had a big tidy up and given away lots of scraps of dyed and printed fabric.



 Added another piece of silk and then machined in some leaves and flowers to bring the pieces together.



I took a photo on the ipad and in Procreate drew in some orange circles to see where they would look best.  
 Deciding on the thread colours prior to hand stitching. I had forgotten how much I enjoy looking at the tread colours at this stage.
 Added the lace and machine stitched it in place. Could be better with three pieces of lace, but just could not fit them into the design.

I could see this bound with a slate grey silk, but frustrated by the limited choice of fabric locally I saw the piece I had been using as an ironing cloth, just the right orange. I had forgotten how to make a binding so good old You Tube provided the reminder.


This is quite small, about 12x12 inches, but I enjoyed making it, and it was good to get out the sewing machine. I had almost, almost, forgotten how to use it! Click for a better view.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...