Saturday, March 15, 2014

Twining and Newspaper.


I have a number of bits and pieces on my board, one from a very long time ago is a folded strip of newspaper which I have zig-zagged stitched on the machine. I saw it and had the idea of making strips of newspaper, wider than the sample, to use in the same way as the rush pouch was made, particularly appealing as I have no rush, am unlikely to ever have any or even room for any.
Rush at City Lit. Basketry Taster Course.
I folded ten lengths of newspaper and then machined them; the folding is the time consuming part. The strips are surprisingly robust.

  I have a draw full of wool to choose from as the twining material but I found in it some bundles of plastic strips which I acquired in a sale when I was into knitting in the round – don't ask! You do need quite a lot of material for the weavers, but it is not difficult to add in new lengths.


So I just felt compelled to have a go at this and it worked out well. I thought of coating the paper in acrylic wax or similar but it doesn't really need it, it is quite tactile and strong as it is.

 Turning the top edge down.




It cannot be shaped as the rush or as felt could be after constructing, but it does make an open container, less flat than it appears in the photos.



2 comments:

  1. What an amazing creation! When an idea comes, you just have to go with it, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea! Do you know the work of Lois Walpole, who makes baskets almost entirely from recycled materials?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...