Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A little bit of sunshine.


I have been working on my butterfly felt. The felt itself is very fine and probably I should have made a more substantial piece of felt; I didn’t have much energy when I made the background and I would have liked the colours to have been stronger. I used some metallic powder with Ormoline Medium to colour some areas on the wings and gradually added more outlining until they stood out a little better.

Finally, I added some words up by the tiny butterfly on the right,’ the elusive butterfly of love’. I did it quite quickly as a bit of therapy; I am reasonably pleased but its execution could have been better. I made two circles of felt as hangers which echoed the circles of stitching. The brick wall like part in the middle is in a dark green metallic thread.

Here is a small tip for those who you who do a lot of machining and may not have heard it before.

Two rubber doorstops under the back of the machine tilt the machine forward which is helpful to the back. Make sure the machine is nice and stable before you go into top gear of course.

13 comments:

  1. That is gorgeous Jackie, great tip for the machine too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work...I think the background is wonderful...and plenty strong. The butterflys are a delightful piece of whimsy.
    Thanks for the tip re: tilting the machine...my neck and shoulders have been tight since I started on my embroidery part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous work. So much texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colours and textures here...great machine tip too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much juiciness. Just found you at Susan Tuttle's {ECHO} post.
    I see many fabulous creations here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fantastic tip Jackie, ill have to try that! The piece looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great tip - thanks. Your butterfly felt looks so gorgeous as the sun catches it - well done1

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely, one of my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip Jackie, I will give it a try. I adore your felted piece. I love to stitch bubbles like this. I expect your felt has a really good texture and feel to it. I love the colours you've used!

    Wonderful!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:00 AM

    Gorgeous! All that machining was worth it. Love the colour and the texture in the bricks and bubbles is great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luscious felted piece. I especially love the texture of the bubbles and bricks. Thanks for the great tip too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:19 PM

    Wonderful pieces - beautiful textures and vibrant colour.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...