Friday, October 16, 2009

Impulse Buys

I enjoyed my visit to the Knit and Stitch on Sunday. Its three years since I was there, which I think is a good thing as everything seemed a bit fresher. In The Art of the Stitch Exhibition I saw work by two of the artists I had written about for my Diploma essay, Rosie James and Shizuko Kimura, but whose work I had only previously seen in pictures. As soon as I walked in I started seeing examples of embroidery using maps which is nice as my day service group are right on trend.
The work that I found most inspiring was the experimental work of Dionne Swift, who is currently printing onto felt and experimenting with fabric manipulation in terms of repetition. You can see some of her work on her website and blog.

These are my impulse buys banana fibre and sari ribbon. I watched a good demonstration of felting using the smooth side of bubble wrap to start off the felting process in a gentle way when including fabric pieces. I had to have a go using my new supplies.
I asked a dumb question about why we are advised to use Olive Oil Soap but at least I found out why, having always wondered. You get fewer suds, of course!!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful fibres!! Your felt work is incredible, especially because the colours are so vibrant :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something magical about how the raw ingredients transform into felt. Great autumn fruit colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use diswashing soap... nothing disasterous has happened yet :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post. It was good to see the treasures you brought home and hear about the new things inspiring you ... I didn't get to any shows this year ... maybe next year ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous purchase!!!!!! I heartily approve. = ) jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful to see your laying out like this. I think the transitional stages of felt can often look like art in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jackie
    Thanks for the link & glad you liked the exhibition. The work expands to a full solo touring show starting at Bankfield, Halifax from 16th January 2010 - You'll see much more then. K&S is just a taster!!
    Regards, Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks beautiful, I've just completed a felting workshop recently and am so inspired to get going again after seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Magic piece of felt! I'm a newbie felter (I've made one piece and am addicted!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:51 AM

    It was rather interesting for me to read the post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...