Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Xpress Xcut



I think I came across this link to Annie Day's printing blog on pinterest; like many I quickly became obsessed with getting one of these little machines, the Xpress Xcut. It's intended use is for cutting out shapes and embossing for paper crafts, a mystery to me, but low and behold it can be used as a poor man's printing press.I have tried it with a lino block I had and with a speedy cut block. It worked straight away. I have used water based block printing ink and added a piece of felt.


My prints are a bit rough but on line you can see some print artists who have had excellent results. It is so much easier than rubbing with a spoon or a barren. I got mine from The Range, which delivered quickly; initially I ordered from the cheapest firm on line but they came back to say out of stock.
I thought I would continue to use my view of South Lea Meadow before it is built over. As you see from the plackards most people here are protesting against the attempt to destroy the village, and my husband was even on TV with fellow protesters.



I am continuing with learning to weave on the small loom; this is inspired by a frosty day when the ice never really melted in the field. Since my fall last year such days are only good for looking out on.


6 comments:

  1. Love the lino-cut of your view Jackie !
    (again inspiration right in front of you ;-) !)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the process of packing everything up to move house and only yesterday came across a Cuttlebug machine I bought in a very misguided and rash moment for it to sit unused in the cupboard.After reading this I might just hang on to it for a little while longer and once I am sorted out give printing with it a go....you never know it might just work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will find that it works. You will just need to work on the packing levels, as the Xpress has an adjustable roller, which I think is the difference.Good luck.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a neat little machine, I would like to try printing, this might be a good start. I also have a pasta machine which I understand works quite well for some types of printing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have kept my pasta machine for that, and you do see them in charity shops. I made some tiny collograph prints and used them as cards.Annie has some information on her site.

      Delete
  4. ps love the prints and arn't they great little looms I have one, I use it loads when travelling

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...