Monday, March 19, 2012

Cocoon Strippings



A few pictures of some ‘paper’ I made from Cocoon Strippings related to the theme of disintegration and the rabbits skeleton which I found and drew from recently. I intend to work on this theme over the next months.



This sort of fabric paper, in case you have not come across it, is made by placing cocoon strippings on a piece of net or similar, spraying with water, covering with another piece of net and then gently ironing. The strippings contain natural serecin gum and this enables them to stick together. Last year I made an artists’ book using quite a lot of this ‘fabric’ and included pine needles, and fragments of writing. It is quite easy to add bits and pieces as you layer it up.


This sample is not really successful but I was also trying out edges and ideas for using my new Embellisher. I had to have one and you know I deserve it!



The holes were made by burning with an incense stick and using a punch. As you see it is also possible to draw onto the ‘fabric’.
Don't forget Stitched's March blog hop,details in the previous posts.

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous marks & love the holes. My hole puch, I found, was the perfect size for the little Coptic stitched book I just made. Enjoying the blog hops ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting technique for making fabric paper. I have just come across your blog and will follow along in the future. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh... I do like the burn marks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came across your blog and joined right away. I like your artistic approach which incorporating various techniques into art

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating! Although, I admit, I have no idea what cocoon strippings are! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am fascinated and intrigued by the paper. You've used it to really beautiful effect!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...