Monday, October 10, 2011

'Fragments from a Life'

As promised some time ago I am posting more details of the pieces I exhibited earlier this year for the exhibition ‘HerStory’. I made two pieces. The first was a fabric book. I used pieces of rusted fabric together with various fibres and scanned notes bonded with cocoon stripping. I also incorporated pieces of waxed paper which had been distressed with a wood burning tool. I wanted the book to look and feel very fragile and used ‘fuseFX’ a gossamer bonding mesh which was helpful to get the effect I was after. I was given a pair of rusty scissors the builder found in our garden which came at just the right time. I also added some pine needles which came from the road in Bournemouth where my mother lived.



Here are the notes for my submission for the exhibition:

‘Fragments from a Life’
When someone dies one can wish that, like the great diarists, they had left fulsome accounts of their life, telling all, answering all the unasked questions; however, most often we have only the odd fragments of fragile lives from which to try to piece together a story.

‘Fragments from a Life’ One and Two are based on this theme.
One piece is an artist’ book and the other is a small wall hanging.
Scraps of recipes, misspelled notes about how to manage a pension, very little is left, yet saying so much.



The second piece was a hanging loosely based on an open book. The pleated spine is padded. Some of the added elements use sheer fabric printed using a foam block. You may recognize the woman from my drawings of people in Dubrovnik last year; which shows that sketchbooks are really useful.







I thought I would post these here as now the excitement of the exhibition is well over it seems unlikely that they will see the light of day again for some time.

5 comments:

  1. beautiful Jackie, really lovely; wish I could read through the book. Let us know if it does go on show again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely, Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely - I especially like the look of the rusted scissors as an element of the piece. Sometimes those additions make so much more out of an already good piece... I feel the same way about discharging using bleach to represent the "taking away" aspect of death and decay. Very thoughtful and moving post.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of this beautiful peice. It truly is inspired and amazing. just so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the book, and you got it just right,it does look really fragile...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always much appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...